At Eco Toys we’re big advocates of nature and outdoor play and just because it’s the end of summer it doesn’t mean that kids can’t get wet or dirty. In fact numerous studies have shown that playing outdoors in nature increases happiness, immunity (especially dirt!) and provides a whole lot of opportunities for pretend play.
So we’ve put together our absolute favourite nature play activities for kids. With school holidays around the corner, make sure you get your kids outdoors daily for their dose of sunshine.
1. Autumn hanging mobile – Collect Autumn leaves and bits form nature to make your very own mobile.
2. Nature collage – Collect things from nature and create a beautiful nature collage to hang up.
4. Bark painting – Use water, mud or earth paint and decorate bark.
5. Nature water discovery bottle – Recycle a water bottle and fill it up with leaves, flower petals, seeds, sand, dirt, pebbles (whatever you can find in nature!) and water and watch the pieces float and move around.
7. Stick people – Collect and decorate sticks by either painting, wrapping clothes and putting hair and faces on them. Great for storytelling!
8. Rainbow Branch tee-pee.
9. Make a dirt sensory tub – Fill it with plants, rocks and a few animals.
10. Play pretend Paleontologist – Hide bones or dinosaurs in dirt and kids have to dig them out.
11. Mud prints – Use hands, feet and pretend play animals to make mud prints.
14. Nature playdough
16. Make mud paint
18. Create a rock village
20. Build a miniature fairy garden
21. Create a stone maze
22. Make a fairy house from a tree trunk.
23. Get muddy!
24. Flower printing
27. Make playdough patterns using grains
29. Climb tress
35. Make a worm farm
36. Build a nest
38. Make mud pies
39. Make pet rocks
40. Sow seeds
41. Stepping stones
42. Make gum nut people
45. Make a twig star
46. Build an obstacle course
48. Explore a forest
49. Build a mud kitchen
50. Build a construction area