Eco Mums changing the World

There is a tremendous surge of green energy coming from Mums these days—and now it is coming from their girls, too,” says Shils. “We have an opportunity to mentor and support a new generation of change makers, and wow, are these young women ever powerful! When they see an injustice, they want to fix it. They will heal the world.”

I love this article on the rising power of Eco Mums and thought what a great opportunity for our next competition.

Are you an Eco mum or dad?  Then we would love to hear from you! For our Week 3 toy competition we are giving away a packet of Glob botanical paints & a BPA free bath toy, Bob the duck.  Perfect for the eco conscious parent!

All you need to do to enter is simply tell us below one thing you do to keep your home chemical free?

Competition ends this Sunday 28th November 2010 at midnight EST and is open to Australian residents only. Winner will be randomly drawn and announced the following Monday.

You can leave a response

21 Responses to “Eco Mums changing the World”

1. Melinda says:

Thanks to everyone both here and on our facebook page for sharing your living chemical free tips. The competition is now closed and I was be counting and announcing the winner soon. Good Luck!

2. Christina Matthewson says:

A beautiful friend recently introduced us to soap nuts after my little boy had a reaction to some washing liquid when it spilt and contacted his skin. We are only new to being chemical free. We use cinderella cleaning products and I really want to start making some of my own ^thanks for the wonderful suggestions in previous comments. We now swat any fly we see instead of spraying them (or capture them and let them go outside) We have switched to cloth nappies and we are currently on our second week of being additive, preservative and sugar free from our diets – I am trying to change our diets so we eat mainly raw foods and we have started our very first vegie garden. I can’t believe how much we have all changed and for the better and we’re saving money whilst helping the planet which is a huge bonus. We will continue on our way to being totally chemical free

3. penny says:

enjo…cleans our world 😉

4. Doula Kylee says:

We use vinegar and bi-carb soda…(We love watching the chemical reaction that occurs) We use earth choice biodegradable washing liquid for our clothes, so we can recycle the water onto our vegie patch.We use tea tree oil and essential oils in other cleaning products to give a fresh smell through out the house.I first descovered natural cleaning products through a fantastic book called “Clean house, Clean planet” which I refer to for all my products.It has recipes for everything from shampoo to stain removers.Totally recommend it!

5. Kate Schultz says:

We burn pure essential oils, instead of chemical air fresheners; we have a fly swat instead of fly spray (and the kids love trying to get the flies!); we use Enjo instead of chemical cleaning products; we use organic shampoo, conditioner, bath stuff and skin care; we use natural cleansers for our dishes and also in our washing machine.

6. Kristy Murray says:

We use environmentally friendly laundry powder, make my own all purpose cleaner from bicarb, vinegar and essential oils-used to clean everything.

Other things we do: try and buy organic food/products where we can, avoid packaged foods with little or no additives, switched to stainless steel drink bottles (eco tanka) and BPA free sippy cup and plastics.Organic skin care products are used also.

7. Alex says:

We sprinkle bicarb soda into the bottom of the dishwasher and fill the washing powder/liquid compartment with vinegar. It works much better than water alone and we don’t have to worry about toxic residue on our dishes or our toddler eating toxic dishwashing powder/liquid.

8. Jessica says:

Also, eco stuff may sometimes be more expensive but perhaps it just means you buy less which is not a bad thing either.

9. Jessica says:

There are so many eco-products out there now, we buy BPA free plastic toys, stainless steel lunchboxes, melamine drink cups and plates, glass containers. A bi-carb & vinegar paste will clean just about anything and we use organic products on ourselves and our son.
    PS. My husband, who is also a stay-at-home dad get insulted when everything is aimed at Mums – Dad’s play a role too!!

10. Nicola says:

Essential oils

We burn pure essential oils instead of chemically air freshners. We also find tea tree oil is really nice alternative to chemical cleaners.

11. Marnie Sales says:

We use soap nuts for washing and use vinegar a lot for cleaning. My bubba wears nothing but cloth nappies or nothing on her bottom – lots of nappy free time for her and cloth wipes with water. We also dust with a wet microfibre cleaning cloth or microfibre nappy square. We also buy as much organic fruit and veg that we can and do not eat much processed food.

12. Zoe Lenz says:

we don’t use ANYTHING that would harm my daughter if she were to ingest it. In fact, she loves to eat my Miessence organic conditioner, 100% natural, I don’t encourage it but I don’t have to ring the poisons hotline if she licks her fingers! Going green is easy once you start, and is often cheaper than buying harsh chemicals. Proud tree huggers in this household 🙂

13. Steam all the way here for chemical free cleaning 🙂

14. Jo says:

I clean the house with Enjo, use BEE dishwashing liquid and an EnviroBall for the washing machine. Initially starting out with Enjo/EnviroBall it is expensive but in the long run I’d definitely be saving money and it is great when I go shopping because I can completely avoid the cleaning aisle!

15. Gabrielle says:

We use Flylady purple (love the colour) microfibre cloths & hot water to clean almost anything! And buy organic products like those from Miessence 🙂

16. Andi says:

On the rare occasions that I clean, I use homemade solutions. Also, we’ve been paper towel-free for several years. When clothes get too ratty to wear or donate, they go in the rag bin. A holey t-shirt can be cut down into several cleaning cloths and, depending on how dirty they get, either washed and re-used or tossed. You’d be amazed at how much dust an old sock can pick up.

17. Sky says:

Oops that was meant to be microfibre! Damn corrective text! 🙂

18. Sky says:

We use soap nuts for washing our clothes and cloth nappies. We use microtones cloths for most of our cleaning, eg kitchen, bathroom, floors. We buy organic when we can afford to and I try to get bpa free stuff, eg drink bottles, baby stuff. We never use fly sprays or such-like — instead we rub around the house with a flyswat!

19. Natalie says:

I try to use low-impact cleaning products, and have found very little that can’t be cleaned with any combination of vinegar, bicarb soda and Ecostore dishwashing liquid 🙂

20. Sharon says:

One thing we do to stay chemical free is to simply refuse to buy products that are heavily laden with chemicals! There are plenty of alternatives out there if you look, read, and ask others for suggestions! We don’t have to have homes filled with unnecessary chemicals, especially in the age of technology where gaining information via the internet is so easy! 🙂